Saturday, August 17, 2013

Celeste and the Dogwood Berries


Our first artist study for this year is James John Audubon. It was pretty neat to transition from our unit study of birds to learning about Audubon. Then I found this book at Knox County Public Library about a little mouse named Celeste who lives in the house where Mr. Audubon is visiting. I've had to edit a bit about killing birds (the author must be a member of PETA). Even though it is listed as a tween book, the littles are loving readying about Celeste everyday.


So when Celeste went looking for dogwood berries for one of the birds in the book, Jonathan and I decided to go look for some too. Isaac was right- there wasn't a single berry on the trees. Jonathan did learn to identify a dogwood tree though! And we noticed that the book is wrong too- because it talks about the heat of the summer, magnolias being in bloom.... and dogwood berries on the trees. Nope!

No comments:

Post a Comment